Red White and Blue Pasta Salad
1 lb any pasta
1/2 Cup diced RED pepper
1/2 Cup diced WHITE onion
1Cup BLUE berries – rinsed
2 Stalks celery – diced
3/4 Cup lowfat plain yogurt
1/4 Cup low fat mayo
1Tb Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tp Salt
Fresh ground pepper
Cook pasta according to package. Drain and rinse under cold water.
Mix yogurt, mayo, mustard. salt and pepper and mix in large bowl.
Add cooled pasta and all the vegetables in bowl with yogurt mixture and toss
Add blueberries and fold in gently – so not to break blueberries
Cover and cool in refrigerator for at least one hour.
Tagged: pasta, pasta salad
Here are the easy steps to surprise and delight your mom, grandmother and all the special women in your life!
Apple-Cherry Crepe Purse
2 Kontos French-Style Traditional Crepes
3 Granny Smith apples, cubed and stewed with a dash of cinnamon
2 cans of cherry pie filling
½ teaspoon of butter
Navel orange peel
¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
Mint leaves for garnish
- Cut the apples into small cubes, stew lightly with a dash of cinnamon.
- Drain stewed apples, mix with one can of cherry pie filling.
- Warm the mixture in a saucepan or in the microwave.
- Open your second can of cherry pie filling and lift out cherries. Set the cherries aside for garnish.
- Cut a thin orange peel strip from your navel orange peel – making the strip as long as possible – set aside.
- Warm your Kontos French-style crepes in a lightly buttered skillet for one minute each side.
- Lay each crepe flat. Arrange apple-cherry filling in center of crepe and bring up edges of crepe to center.
- Pick up edges of crepe, twist gently to enclose filling.
- Tie the orange peel strip around the crepe to form a purse.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar; garnish with four or five cherries and mint leaves.
Note: Double or triple the recipe for larger parties. For an extra-special treat, try drizzling with caramel sauce or top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Even the kids can pitch in to make this simple recipe that will delight mom with a touch of French elegance.
Courtesy of the Kontos Cookbook
Tagged: Crepes, dessert, fruit, Kontos
1 lb. frozen peeled/clean shrimp – thawed
1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen broccoli/cauliflower florets – cooked and drained according to package
1 lb pasta – cooked and drained
3 garlic cloves, minced
1⁄4 cup chopped onion
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 can 28 oz crushed tomatoes in puree
1/4 cup red or white wine
Salt/ Pepper to taste
Hand full parsley – chopped
1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta and drain. In a large pot, sauté garlic and onion in olive oil salt/pepper until tender. Add tomatoes and red wine cover bring to a slow boil and simmer 15-20 minutes.
Add shrimp – simmer additional 5-6 minutes, or until shrimp is pink. Stir in minced parsley. Serve with broccoli/cauliflower florets over cooked pasta. Sprinkle cheese – pour the wine, pass the bread and enjoy!
Tagged: Broccoli, cauliflower, pasta, shrimp
Easy Peasy – 10 minutes to your table any way you serve them
Peas Five Ways
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cans (15oz.ea.) Del Monte sweet peas drained
½ cup bagged shredded carrots
⅓ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat; add peas and carrots. Cook 3 to 4 minutes; gently stirring occasionally, until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Stir in mint and season to taste with salt and black pepper, if desired.
VARIATIONS: Prepare recipe as directed, except:
-For PEAS WITH THYME & LEMON ZEST, cook peas with 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves instead of carrots in Step 1. Stir in 1 tsp. grated lemon zest instead of mint in Step 2.
-For PEAS WITH MUSHROOMS, cook peas with 1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms instead of carrots in Step 1. Stir in 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary instead of mint in Step 2.
-For PEAS WITH BASIL AND GARLIC CRUMBS, cook peas with 1/2 tsp. dried basil instead of carrots in Step 1. Omit mint and sprinkle with 1/4 cup crushed garlic croutons in Step 2.
-For ASIAN-STYLE SWEET PEAS, cook peas with 2 to 3 Tbsp. teriyaki sauce instead of carrots in Step 1. Omit mint and stir in 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds in Step 2, if desired.
TIP: To toast almonds, place almonds in a heavy ungreased skillet. Cook over medium heat about 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant and golden brown.
for more ideas click here
Tagged: Del Monte Peas
Whenever I have cooked left over chicken cutlets I like to make a easy and quick home style Chicken Parmesan.
I slice up the cooked chicken cutlet and lay in a dish.
Cover with marinara sauce, bottled or home-made and sprinkle with rough grated Parmesan cheese.
Cover and bake in a pre-heated 400 oven for about 10-15 minutes or until sauce is just bubbly and cheese is melted. Serve with rice, pasta or a salad. Easy, peasy.
Tagged: chicken, home style, Parmesan cheese