Going meatless? Try this tasty dish takes 20 minutes to prepare, cooks in 8
Vegetarian Tortilla Pie
- 1 jar(s) (11 to 12 ounces) medium salsa
- 1 can(s) (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can(s) (15 to 16 ounces) no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can(s) (15 1/4 ounces) no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup(s) (packed) fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 low-fat flour tortillas, 10-inch diameter
- 6 ounce(s) (1 1/2 cups) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Spray 15 1/2- by 10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In small bowl, mix salsa and tomato sauce. In medium bowl, mix black beans, corn, and cilantro.
- Place 1 tortilla in jelly-roll pan. Spread one-third of salsa mixture over tortilla. Top with one-third of bean mixture and one-third of cheese. Repeat layering 2 more times, ending with last tortilla.
- Bake pie 10 to 12 minutes, until cheese melts and filling is hot. Serve with reduced-fat sour cream if you like.
Good housekeeping approved
Yesterday was Women Day around the world . Here in America we celebrate women during the whole month of March. I love this so much Iwill repeat: “Our shared history unites families, communities, and nations. Although womens’ history is intertwined with the history shared with men, several factors – social, religious, economic, and biological – have worked to create a unique sphere of womens’ history”.
Here are some more wonderful times and women who helped bring this day to us: First womens’-rights convention meets in Seneca Falls NY 1848. Our thanks to Wyoming Territory – they were the first to grant women the vote in 1869! Californian Julia Morgan is the first woman admitted to the Ecole de Beaux-Arts in Paris 1898. Amelia Earhart is the first woman to cross the Atlantic in an airplane 1928. The All-American Girls Professional Baseball League becomes the first professional baseball league for femal players 1943 – play ball!!
Then there is the everyday woman……the pioneer that is in us all. Doing the everyday chores, loving our families, towing the line to the finish. I celebrate you today, all month long and forever.
history.com & womans’ history month library of congress
posted by Liz
Forget the apple. Did you know that an egg a day can help keep wrinkles away? It seems that this little egg has cholin and litein, two skin smoothing nutrients.
Cholin is related to vitamin B and is a helper in maintaining the proper levels of vitamin B in the body. Eating an egg a day helps preserve skin’s elasticity and prevents, what they call, free radical damage to skin cells. Best part is it does not matter how you eat it, poached, hard boiled, or one of my favorites over easy.
The preventer of damage to skin cells is the lutein. Your daily egg is the best way your body absorbs lutein, even better than eating leafy greens or taking daily supplements. Guess why? Ready for it. It is that yellow, yucky part, in the center of the egg. The yolk! The yolk has something called lecithin. Lecithin helps absorb 26% of the egg’s lutein.
So go ahead have an egg. The benefits are eggs-traordinary.
Allison Tannis, author of Feed Your Skin, Starve Your Wrinkles
I had my family over Sunday for my moms’ 81 birthday. It turned out to be a very nice time and I think we all enjoyed ourselves. My mother told me my meatballs were hard….said I must have added too much breadcrumbs. I made spinach and ricotta gnocchi (got easy recipe from the cooking channel,,,Extra Virgin) for my neice and sister..they don’t like to eat meat any more. Anyway, I served it all with penne and a marinara sauce and a great big salad. Everyone ate….then after we had the cake, we started to smell somthing coming from my bedroom. My grandkids were jumping on the bed and playing there, when my granddaughter came out and said her brother was touching the perfume!!.. Well, he sprayed it all over the dressers and the picture frames . But who could get mad at him, he was having a good time and besides, he really did a good job. When they left, I cleaned up the place and then it was time to go to sleep….only trouble was the the smell in the bedroom was just too much…….I was gagging… was even tasting the perfume. I left the window open yesterday to air the room…..but something tells me., it’s going to be a while.