- Preparation time 35 minutes
- Cooking time 30 minutes
Ingredients: 3 medium red potatoes, 2 cups water, 1 small onion, 3 tablespoon butter, 3 tablespoon all purpose flour, crushed red pepper, 3 cups milk, 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1 cup cheddar cheese, 1 cup cubed cook ham.
l) Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes
2) Bring water to a boil in large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Set aside potatoes. Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, adding water, if necessary, set aside.
3) Peel and finely chop onion. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to saucepan:cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and tender, but not brown.
4) Add flour to saucepan: season with pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Cook 3-4 minutes
5) Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan; stir well. Add cheese and ham. Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Tips: I skipped the sugar, and kept 2 cups of the reserved water, which I added to the other liquids. I used any brand of potatoes. If you really want to get fancy, scoop out small round loaves of Italian bread, and slice off a small piece from the top. Remove the inside of loaf a 1-1/2 inch shell, fill with soup. If you have any left over veggies throw in. Last time I had left over corn and added to soup. Hope you enjoy, let me know what you think. Serves 12
Courtesy: Grandmas kitchen recipes